Welcome to Our First Blog Post of the year!
We'll cut right to the chase here because we believe in keeping hair tips very SIMPLE and STRAIGHT FORWARD. Also, quite frankly, I would guess about 80% of the people probably reading this post are mothers, and being a mother myself, I can attest to the fact that there's usually not that much time left in the day after taking care of everyone else. That said, here are three tips on how to embark on a healthy natural hair journey for our curly kids.
STEP 1. HAVE A HAIR REGIMEN AND BE CONSISTENT!
Having a hair regimen is not complicated at all. In fact, it helps to make the hair journey more manageable and predictable for your curly-haired girl or boy (YES, boys have curls too and require the proper maintenance of their hair.)
A hair regimen for our kids should include a once every week (or two depending on how dirty the hair is) of the following:
- PRE-POO to protect hair before the shampoo step AND DETANGLE by finger detailing or using a detangler brush to remove knots and tangles
- SHAMPOO to remove build up of dirt and products.
- DEEP CONDITIONING next to restore the lost moisture and to deliver the essential nutrients that penetrate the hair shaft for hair growth.
- Apply a CONDITIONER after rinsing out the deep conditioner to regain the normal hair pH.
- Use the LOC Method to nourish and keep the hair strands moisturized. ( DETAILS IN STEP 2 )
- Have a PROTECTIVE STYLE to avoid constant hair manipulation during the week.( DETAILS IN STEP 3 )
- REPEAT the hair regimen and BE CONSISTENT with it.
STEP 2. NOURISH AND MOISTURIZE!
The best way to summarize this step is by using the LOC method. LOC is simply Liquid(water) or Leave-In Conditioner (water -based), Oil and Cream. Spritz the hair with water or apply a water-based leave-in conditioner, after, use a penetrating oil such as coconut or olive oil to which gets absorbed into the hair strands and provides nourishment and hydration. Finally, seal-in the moisture with a cream-based leave-in conditioner or butters such as shea butter. These serve as a sealant and coats the strands preventing the loss of moisture from the strands.
3.PROTECT THE ENDS!
The finals TIP is to PROTECT THE ENDS with a protective style. This avoids the constant manipulating of the hair thereby preventing the likelihood of breakage from hair tools. If the protective style exposes the strands/ends such as puffs, follow the LOC method and RE-MOISTURIZE DAILY or EVERY OTHER DAY by spritzing with water or using a water-based leave-in conditioner, OIL and apply CREAM.
Try these simple tips and let us know what you think. Comment in the section below if you found it helpful.